Friday, June 29, 2007

'Roid rage' made me do it

Three people were found dead in a entertainment wrestler's home earlier this week. Chris Benoit killed his son and killed his wife before killing himself. As soon as the media reported it was a murder-suicide I knew that it was yet another case of some male killing people he once loved and valued. It wasn't that all three were murdered by a home intruder or something. Once you're on the look out for such cases of murder-suicide in families, you see a small flood of them reported in the media.

Why did he do this? What exactly happened in that house? We'll never know--Chris Benoit is dead too. There's no way to try this case in court and the state can't hold him in prison for life. Does that mean the story is over? Not at all! This situation can be used to bring awareness to issues around domestic abuse and crimes committed against women and families. Chris Benoit was well known in a specific community--that's a target audience who could learn from this situation, along with everyone else.


It's completely unacceptable that it's being called a 'roid rage' driven act. (Roid rage being something brought on by steroid use.) Focusing on 'roid rage' takes away from the unimaginable act that was committed by Chris Benoit--the real issue. It takes the spotlight off what he did and attempts to paint his actions as understandable and perhaps acceptable considering the circumstances. He killed his wife and his son! His crimes cannot be dismissed--although he too is dead his image needs to be held accountable for what he did to his son and wife--he cannot become a mourned figure.

I get "coffee headaches" if I don't get a cup of brew first thing in the morning. Does that mean I can run out and punch old ladies and tip over flower pots and run kids over with my bike? NO! I'd like to see myself trying to explain my actions by pointing a finger at "coffee headaches"--it wouldn't fly! Yeah, I know, completely different but it's just as ridiculous.

The Benoit situation is getting (now waning) major attention. I hope this serves as an opportunity to bring conversation and education around domestic violence issues. He may have been on steroids, he may have had 'roid rage,' but he murdered two people who trusted him. That's completely unacceptable and horrific. It needs to stop!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this is a great piece Matt. It would be interesting to read about your thoughts on the impact of the work that Chris Benoit was involved in as it relates to men’s violence against women. I have never watched a wrestling match on TV but from what I hear the violence and misogyny are pretty rampant. While I agree that Chris Benoit made his own choices, his chosen profession contributes to a culture that condones and even celebrates violence against women and children regardless of steroid usage. I am imagining that the wrestling “establishment” is saying something along the lines of “Chris was such a great guy”. Do we hold the WWE (or whatever it is) accountable as well as holding him accountable? How?

The Media Education Foundation has a video called Wrestling with Manhood. I have never seen it, but based on their other video selections and the contributors, I would say it is probably right on. This is the company that does Tough Guise, the other video I tried to get for you but failed.

Jackson Katz is interviewed on the home page and it is an interesting read. http://www.mediaed.org/news/articles/JKatzMachoParadoxInterview

Talks about gender neutrality in the media and men’s responsibility for men’s violence against women. You should read it.