Thursday, June 21, 2007

Last summer in the woods

This time last year I was making my way through the hot desert region of Southern California. I was hiking hard and moving north. My goal? Make it to the Canadian border before the snow fell. I thought I had it in me. I thought success in that endeavor was fully guaranteed. Never did I think that I would lose the desire. Lose the drive. Lose the love of the experience. By early July I was headed back to Seattle, going north quickly by car. Passing the mountains and trees that I would have hiked through slowly on foot. I discovered a lonely life in the woods. A life that became increasingly selfish and isolated with each passing day. So I tossed my pack on my back, passed my extra food to those around me, hiked to the top of Mt. Whitney, and then came down to civilization. The summer's hiking adventure was over.

A few months later I moved my life back to Michigan--the state that I had left in haste the year previous. The miles passed in solitude showed me that I wanted to be around those I called friends and those who were family. And it was the best decision I ever made. A few months later I found the woman who will soon be my wife. Instead of embarking on an adventure in the woods lasting a summer I will now undertake the biggest endeavor and most complete thrill with the one most special. Never did I expect all of life's pieces to come together so well.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Life is so funny...things that seem to be disillusioning at best and failures at worst at first so often end up to be the best thing we could have done.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to be your wife! You are so sweet. And I am so lucky. I'm glad that life's pieces put you and I together. xo

Anonymous said...

Oh wow Matty...this is pretty mushy! Ah well...I suppose I can forgive you. Haha. I'm so glad things have worked out so well for you. I remember when you came back last year...you stopped and visited me! Those were fun times. I think this new phase of your life is way better than the crazy woodsman days. Best of luck to you guys.

Anonymous said...

Thoughtful writing and a wonderful tribute to Kristin and life, Matt.
Uncle Marty