Monday, June 18, 2007

Microwaved for your consumption

Here's the thing, it's usually an enjoyable dining experience. A fine Midtown location, hip staff, and a varied menu. I thought Traffic Jam & Snug's meatloaf might be a good choice. Bad idea--especially if I was looking for a fresh meal. And the wait staff was completely certain the mushrooms would not be in the spinach lasagna.

I'll let my message to Traffic Jam & Snug explain...and then her response...and then my response...

from: Matt Church
to: tjsnug@traffic-jam.com
date: Jun 9, 2007 9:05 AM
subject: Surprise at Traffic Jam

Good morning,

Last night my fiance and I dined at Traffic Jam. We're both Wayne State graduates, frequent the Midtown area, and are usually pleased with our Traffic Jam experiences. I'm sorry to say that last night was a huge exception to our positive Traffic Jam meals.

Before we placed our order my fiance made in inquiry about the vegetarian spinach lasagna. She greatly dislikes mushrooms and asked the waiter specifically if mushrooms were in the lasagna. He informed us that he too did not like mushrooms and they were most certainly not in the lasagna. Based on his response she ordered this dish. Once she started eating her meal she was completely dismayed to find large chunks of mushrooms in the lasagna! She pushed them to the side of her plate and showed them to the waiter. His response, "Hm, I don't know what those are--they're not mushrooms though." They were clearly mushrooms! When he returned with the check he told us that someone in the kitchen said it was burnt pasta. It is not at all possible that what was on her plate was burnt pasta. It was mushrooms--and it's a good thing that she wasn't allergic to them. We did not at all appreciate feeling that the waiter was trying to cover his mistakes with a clear fib!

I ordered the meatloaf. I was looking forward to sweet potato fries and a delightful meal. What was served to me looked like a tv dinner or a microwave meal on a nice plate. The peas were shriveled--definitely microwaved. The sweet potato fries were rubbery and dull--also clearly microwaved. And the meatloaf--it was okay but microwaved as well. My entire $14 dish had been microwaved! What a surprise from a decent restaurant! I asked the waiter to swap out the peas and sweet potato fries for soup. He suggested that sweet potato fries sometimes look like that and have that texture. The only fries that I've seen with that texture and appearance are microwaved fries! I do appreciate him providing me with soup in place of the microwaved sides, but to even have any such sides be served to customers is unbelievable.

My fiance and I had been considering having our wedding rehearsal dinner at Traffic Jam. After last night's experience we can cross that option off the list without a doubt. We would not at all want Traffic Jam to reflect the dining options of Detroit to our guests. We had been excited about holding the event at your restaurant--considering you've been around for so many years, you're in the heart of Midtown, and you have people from the area working there--but last night's meal experience told us without a doubt that we will take our business elsewhere.

Thanks for your time. I hope that the microwaved plate policy doesn't continue to stand. Provide your customers with the meals they pay for and expect from Traffic Jam!

Matt


I was pleased to see a response in my inbox. The contents of the message didn't really keep me pleased.

from: tjsnug@traffic-jam.com
to: Matt Church
date: Jun 12, 2007 3:59 PM
subject: Re: Surprise at Traffic Jam


Dear Matt,
I'm sorry! Yes, late last week we did experiment with the lasagne. It has been a mainstay here for so long, and we wanted to perk it up a bit. We did a trial run with portebello mushrooms, sampled it on the staff, earned positive feed back, and ran with it. My big mistake was not ASSURING that each and every of our 35 wait staff knew about the change. A poor job, now recognized.
As for the meatloaf, that item, along with its peas, has always been microwaved. A majority of our business comes from people in a hurry-short lunch break, quick dinner before the symphony, etc. and we could not meet that demand by baking-to- order. We try to overcome that fact by adding leeks, apples, currants, curry and other flavorful ingredients. The sweet potato fries are deep fried.
Again, I'm sorry that you were unhappy with your meal.

Sincerely,

[name not published]


Right. And I'm supposed to feel better about our meal? I think not.


from: Matt Church
to: tjsnug@traffic-jam.com
date: Jun 13, 2007 4:36 PM
subject: Re: Surprise at Traffic Jam


Hi [name not published],

Thank you for your response--albeit a faint apology. You don't seem especially concerned about making sure my business returns to your establishment.

While I completely understand that you can't freshly prepare each slice of meatloaf, microwaving the entire plate seems pretty awful in terms of food taste and presentation. Peas don't microwave well. And while the sweet potato fries were deep fried initially, those on my plate were without a doubt microwaved prior to being served. How about putting a microwave icon next to items that are microwaved so customers know what they're ordering--and the quality they're paying for? It's nice that you cater to those in a hurry, but why offer fast food quality meals at decent dining prices? Perhaps you could come up with a short menu for those in a hurry and save the rest of the menu for those who actually want to come in and enjoy a meal. I'm offended that you so openly offer microwaved meals at $14 per plate. Feels like you all are serving up left-overs to paying customers. Certainly not in line with all the fresh bakery items and the "best, freshest ingredients" you tout on your website.

Thanks for your response though--at least I now know where to go for a quick microwaved meal at a hefty price.

Matt


That's the end of the story for now. Super disappointing considering I've enjoyed many meals there. The Midtown area needs solid restaurants--I hope the lasagna and meatloaf experience was a fluke and not an indication of a downward spiral for such an institution.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Truly disappointing. Would it have hurt them to offer a free appetizer or dessert on your next visit in order to maintain your patronage? Guess they don't care.

Perhaps Cass Cafe will be a better option next time!

Librarians ROCK! said...

Hi Matt!
What a drag that the ole' Taffic Jam's food was horrible. Actually, the wait staff has always been a little pretentious for my taste but the food was generally good.
You know a place has been around to long when the only response you get to a well written complaint letter was pretty much veiled disdain.
Next time go to the DIA or Cass Cafe...or better yet downtown proper.
Keep writing. I miss Detroit!
Lynnette

Anonymous said...

Way to tell them how you feel! I can't believe they never even offered some sort of discount or dessert like Kristin said.

Anonymous said...

If I were in the restaurant business and I had gotten a letter like that from you, I would have bent over backwards to make things right--and I would have made every attempt to make sure that nothing like that happened again. If a guest had a severe food allergy to mushrooms or another ingredient that was overlooked or otherwise dismissed, then the consequences would have been much worse than an irritated customer. Also, in this day and age when news can travel like wildfire over the internet, I wouldn't think any business could afford to dismiss any customer's comments.
JC Kalamazoo MI

Holly Bee said...

Argghh! Make them pay! Torment them until they repent!! Or at least until they offer you a free meal to give them another try. Then take their apology, make it foul with trail made stench and then take your free meal.

I think it's only fair.

Anonymous said...

Can't believe that! I love the letters you wrote - their letter STINKS! What a disappointment! -- Bummer! Here's to finding better restruants in Detroit!

Cool Blog!

Anonymous said...

if a restaurant gives me crap food, i usually just attempt to leave an unflushed opinion in their restroom. (no, #2 on demand is not so easy. but zen BMs are a fledgeling form of mindfulness i am honing.)

yeah, the t-j folks at times have something up their ass. the same owner runs the bronx. perhaps they feel they have a lockdown on the midtown dining/drinking dollar. or at least 2nd avenue. to hell w/their microwaved hipper than thou-ness.

more frightening is that this is actually not uncommon at all. i read an article recently that the majority of food in ALL restaurants in the US comes from Sysco. five star to one star restaurants. ((no, not the computer cisco. a different one. wish i could find it... probably NTY). and a lot more gourmet items than you'd imagine are microwave-ready. another happy texas corporation. incidentally, the same sysco supplied my dormitory cafeteria (and high school cafeteria). yes, they do have varied quality tiers. but it is rather frightening that so much food comes from one distributor. in texas. god knows, they might concoct a new type of MSG that slowly turns people into apple-pie fascists.... (maybe that explains the last eight years? it all goes back to that messed up meatloaf... and the zen BM.)