Friday, July 27, 2007

So you want a library job in Michigan?

Are you nearing graduation with a library degree? Do you want to stay in Michigan? Such questions were being discussed on my alma mater's listerv and I thought I'd share my response (slightly modified for the blog).

1. If you're looking for a job in the state of Michigan, recognize that the economy has changed considerably within the last few years. It's in a much different spot today than just last year. This changing economy impacts the system on many levels. Graduates are having a tough time finding available positions and are becoming more desperate for work. Many libraries have suffered significant funding cuts and are working with less. Regional library cooperatives are closing their doors and reducing staff numbers.

2. You may not get a full time position immediately after graduation. Funding shortages have forced libraries to get creative in job openings. They may, for example, offer two part-time positions with reduced benefits rather than a full-time position with full benefits. You may need to work another part-time job to supplement your career dreams until something full-time surfaces.

3. Look outside of your concentration area for work. I concentrated on public library work while in the program. After graduation I worked for a library software company in their support department. I now work in the field of philanthropy as a solo librarian. Be flexible in your expectations--especially for your first position after graduation.

4. Don't ask your graduate program to tell you'll get a job. You get the skills and knowledge from the program--it's your responsibility to put that to use and find an opening. Use them as a resource to strengthen yourself as a potential candidate. Your graduate program would LOVE for all of you to find employment right after graduation--but they can make no guarantee that it's going to happen.

5. What have you done to set yourself apart from other candidates? Why should a prospective employer be interested in you when you're mixed in with 30 other candidates? Join one or several student organizations--take on a leadership position in a group. Join one or several professional associations and read what they send you. Start writing a library-focused blog (like Betsy Stoll's 'Second Life: Binary Footprints' blog). Jump into online environments (MySpace, Facebook, Second Life, blogging, YouTube) and get a feel for how they can be used--it could be helpful to at least be familiar with them.

The thoughts shared above are certainly relevant outside of the library community as well. Generally tough times in Michigan.

5 comments:

Monster Librarian said...

What does it mean to work in field of philanthropy as a solo librarian?

Matt Church said...

I work for a large foundation as their librarian. I am the only librarian on staff and handle all aspects of library operations. From cataloging and ordering to research to report writing--I do it all. It's really a great opportunity to dive into all aspects of librarianship! I wear many hats as a solo librarian.

jennyb said...

Hey, Matt. We were in the LIS program together and our paths crossed occasionally. I have been reading the recent listserv discussions as well. Excellent post! I graduated last May.....my degree concentration was Special Libraries and I got my CAA as well. I was really hoping to end up in "traditional" librarianship or archival work, but wasn't getting far in my job search. For me, part of the issue is that a lot of public/academic institutions were scared off by my decade-plus of corporate work experience. Through the super LIS program at WSU, I did a lot of volunteer and internship work to round out the 9-5 stuff. That "other" experience was enough to get me the interview, but not enough to land the job. Some interviewers told me that they couldn't see how my work experience would apply in their setting. One even told me that I was "too qualified" for the reference position....the concern was that my expectations for salary and positional advancement from the corporate world would frustrate me in a flatter public organization. For awhile, I was downplaying my past work experience, but it's no good to deny who you are and what you could offer. I finally found a job managing electronic records for a municipal planning agency (if you ever Google Earth a spot in Michigan, those aerial photographs were or will be catalogued by me). This doesn't match the picture of the job I was looking for, but it is a perfect mix of my work and academic experiences. I avoided records management like the plague while in the LIS program, but that branch of library science best combines my corporate and degree experiences as they are now. The funny thing is that, to help me in my current position, I have gone back to WSU to check out books for the records management courses I didn't want to take while I was there! I am hoping that working for a government agency will be a bridge between my old corporate life and the librarian I might be someday. The strength of our field is that information science has application almost everywhere.... WE define who or what is "librarian". All of this is to say that I wholeheartedly agree with your recommendation to keep an open mind about your concentration and looking outside of it for work.

I also think your tip about student organizations is spot-on. I was an SLA officer and can honestly say that I got way more out of it than what I put into it. The networking with professionals is a good tool for the inevitable career search. It gave me a serious edge in getting scholarship money to pay for school. To tie it in with your post, a number of hiring professionals have told me that they will not consider resumes for those not active in student organizations (Oakland County for one). Leadership in these organizations not only makes for stronger student groups, but is a great way to set yourself aside from other candidates.

Ok, thanks for letting me blahblahblah. Glad that I found this blog and happy to hear you're doing well. Soooooo envious of your solo position, tell us more about that sometime.

- jen

Heidi said...

Hey there, I'm a KristinKnits reader and a librarian/archivist myself. Although I'm an MI native I went to UNC-Chapel Hill for my MSLS and have never worked in a Michigan library. When my husband's job brought us to Kzoo a couple years ago I really freaked out, having no luck finding anything for at least six months before we moved, but then I got pregnant so it kind of didn't matter.

And today I'm pleased to say that I've been hired as the (part-time) College Archivist at Kalamazoo College. Yay!! It took a LONG time to find the right thing though. And if I didn't have a one-year-old to balance with work, I'd probably still be looking. So...if I join MLA maybe I'll meet you and Kristin someday.

I have five yrs experience in special collections and for the last two unemployed years I kept doing volunteer work for SAA and the Midwest Archives Conference, among other things. It is so important to be involved!

I really like your list of tips. Relevant whether you just graduated or not.

Anonymous said...

I imagine the employment field is like that everywhere.. new librarians need to gain experience while going to library school and then some. I am actually thinking about a need to relocate too. FYI.. I live in NYC..so you can imagine how people feel here.